top of page

A Brief History of Llanwrtyd Wells

Llanwrtyd Wells is a small town lying on the River Irfon close to the

Cambrian Mountains. The original settlement consisted of a few

scattered farms and houses around an isolated church believed to

have been established in the 6 th Century. It was the main crossing

point for droving – moving sheep, cattle, pigs and geese from the

countryside to areas of higher population and the census of 1841

shows 27 inhabitants.

The village was becoming famous because of the sulphur springs

which, despite their existence for many centuries, were re-

discovered in 1732 by the Rev Theophilus Evans, who was led to

believe, by the emergence of a frog from the waters, that they could

provide a cure for scurvy and other skin ailments. However,

although the area had been on a stagecoach route, it was the

coming of the railway in 1867 that led to the rapid development of

the town with the provision of guest houses and hotels to

accommodate the visitors who came to ‘take the waters’. At its

height the town was welcoming over 3,000 visitors a day and, in

addition to accommodation, a variety of shops opened supplying

everything from ladies wear to ironmongery.

During WWII the town was chosen for the relocation of the

Bromsgrove School from Worcester when many buildings were taken

over to provide teaching facilities and accommodation for the pupils

and teachers and subsequently hosted many Jewish children saved

by Sir Nicholas Winton.

Llanwrtyd Wells Aerial.jpg

Getting Here

By Road

Llanwrtyd Wells is on the A483. Leave the A40 either at Crickhowell, and take the A470, both joining the A483 at Builth Wells.

From the North pick up the A483 from Chester. From the East take the A44 from Worcester, A481 to Builth Wells and the A483 to Llanwrtyd. 

By Rail

Llanwrtyd Wells is on the scenic Heart of Wales railway linebetween Swansea and Shrewsbury. Contact Arriva Trains Wales for more details. 

bottom of page